Background

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Back in the world of the technological!

I was looking at the date of the last blog post I did: March 26 huh? I cannot believe I've been without a computer for that long. The first few days after our Mac crashed I felt major withdrawl pains. By July it felt perfectly natural. In fact, I don't think I've been more productive in my life, but I did really miss sharing our farm story on the blog. So, thanks to my wonderful dad we are now in possession of the family's old gateway desktop computer and boy is it wonderful!

Let's breeze over the catch up. The garden has been exploding with green and delectable fruits and vegetables. Our baby laying chickens are now gangely teenager chickens and one of the older birds decided she wanted to have a clutch of her own, so we have 4 mixed breed baby chicks running around like they own the place! Justin and I got in a new flock of 32 meat chickens and 4 Bourbon Red turkeys. Away from the farm Justin and I have achieved some wonderful feats too. Justin and his friend Ryan climbed their longest multi-pitch route to date in Yosemite. I've been awarded a promotion at Yuba Blue! Things have been on the up and up.

My dad, step-mom, and step-brother came to stay at the farm last weekend. We had such a good time cruising around Nevada County taking in the heat and great food. It was really cool to show my family, who haven't seen the farm at this stage in it's life, just how much we have accomplished in the passed few months. They also got to experience the realities of farm life first hand when a critter of the raccoon persuasion helped itself to one of my prized turkey poults in the middle of the night. We didn't realize what happened until we were doing morning chores and noticed the chicken wire pulled away from the pen and 1 turkey missing. These are the lessons I hate learning on the farm. While I realized long ago that this life we have chosen on this farm will include regular deaths of creatures he have cared for, I would rather my animals feel that death at my hands than at the vicious paws of a wild animal. Justin and I made a promise to the rest of our flock that day to do a better job protecting them from such attacks. We were lent a pellet gun from Justin's step-dad and reinforced all the edges of the chicken pen to prevent a second raccoon feast.

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment